Friday, August 15, 2008

Bumblebee Bachelors


Had to get out into the garden for some "therapy" the other evening. The sun was just starting to descend, and I was watering some new plantings when a huge dragonfly buzzed my head and landed on one of my dried Allium christophii heads. He was so majestic just perched there, taking a much needed rest.

I looked up to admire my Echinacea 'Ruby Star' which I had frantically planted last year to get some late summer color. The magenta petals seem to glow in the evening light and are held perfectly perpendicular to the strong stem. I look closer. On every flower head, there are 2-3 bumblebees who look like they are drunk. They are barely moving, just lounging in languor. They are everywhere! 2-3 on every flat cushion of flower (a pretty decent bed if I was a bumble!). There are some on the lower leaves & some on the surrounding plants. Were they dying? It would seem strange that it would be a group passing.

Upon further investigation, I found the male bumblebees never go back to the nest. They stay out partying (ok, feeding) for days and need to find a place to sleep for the night! They use up all their energy stores chasing queens and drinking nectar, that they have to find a warm place to sleep. Nature's bachelors will congregate for a group sleep fest. Often they will choose disk or bowl shaped flowers because the temperature on these flowers is often 10 degrees C higher.

I also learned bumblebees will mark flowers with their own special scent. This repels competitors and helps them find their way back to a large nectar store!

There is such a delicate and amazing balance with insects in our gardens. Once you see it up close, you realize the importance of a chemical-free garden to help these important pollinators live it up. In many developed countries, like Britain, many varieties are in serious decline or are already extinct. We have yet to see the huge impact this could have in agriculture and across our environment. To learn more the Bumble Bee Conservation Trust has a great website with useful gardening tips and a kid's page: http://www.bumblebeeconservationtrust.co.uk/

2 comments:

Pam Merrill said...

I love this story of the drunken male bumblebees. How fun for them! Your article made me miss my garden and all the unexpected moments in nature that occured there. I am just starting out a new garden with pots on my deck and had my first visitor the other day, a hummingbird. He discovered my Honeysuckle and was drinking to his hearts content. I was so excited that I sat in total silence, hoping not to startle him and send him away. I guess he likes what he's tasting because he has been back several times. I am so excited about starting a new garden and the prospect of moments like the drunken bumblebee. Thanks for sharing your moment.

Anonymous said...

I love the educational interlude about the bumblebees, beautiful. I have seen many dragonflies around here too, buzzing all about in their exotic ways. Ahh, summer.